Piotr Biesiekirski will start the World Supersport Championship season in Barcelona


The preparations of the 22-year-old Pole for his debut in the FIM Supersport World Championship were interrupted by a crash on Monday at the Phillip Island circuit in Australia, just days before the season was due to kick off. Although the rider of the Ecosantagata Althea Racing team wasn’t able to participate in it, he is already looking forward to the races in Barcelona in March.

Biesiekirski’s first contact with the circuit, considered to be one of the most beautiful, fastest, but also most demanding racing tracks in the world, started very promisingly. On Monday, World Supersport riders had eight hours to familiarize themselves with the track and set up their motorcycles.

The only Pole on the grid showed a very good pace and quickly learned the Australian track onboard his Ducati Panigale V2. However, his preparations were interrupted by what seemed to be a minor crash in the second turn.

The Ecosantagata Althea Racing rider was taken to a local hospital for thorough examinations, which ruled out fractures and serious injuries. However, after hitting his head, the Pole wasn’t able to participate in the races of the season opener.

Biesiekirski will return to action in March, during the second round of the FIM World Supersport Championship, which will take place at the circuit known from Formula 1 and MotoGP in Barcelona.

“As soon as I arrived in Australia, I immediately fell in love with the Phillip Island circuit, although it seems for now that the feeling isn’t mutual,” says Piotr Biesiekirski. “Everything I heard about it turned out to be true. It is incredibly fast, exciting, and offers a lot of fun, but it is also exceptionally demanding and unfortunately can catch a rider out. The Monday test went very well until the last hour. I had what seemed to be a minor crash, after which there was virtually not a scratch on the motorcycle. However, I unfortunately hit my head on the asphalt, so I had to go to the local hospital for thorough checks. Fortunately, everything is fine, and I was able to return to the track quickly, but as always in such situations, after a head injury, doctors won’t allow a rider to race for seven days. It’s obviously disappointing, but on the other hand, I’m glad that thanks to my helmet nothing serious happened to me and I will soon be able to return to the track. I can’t wait for the second round of the World Championship in Barcelona.”